Pages

Thursday, March 13, 2014

DIY Minnie Mouse Skirt

So, between our upcoming trip to Disney World & Olivia's Minnie Mouse birthday party, 
the birthday girl was ready for a special skirt to herald these occasions:)


First, I need to make clear that I didn't make this skirt from scratch-
I added the polka layer to a black tulle skirt and reattached the bow in a different place.

The original skirt was purchased at Michael's (of all places!) in their Halloween section for Livy...


...when she went trick or treating as a Ladybug:)

And since I didn't really know what I was doing, I didn't take any step-by-step pics:/
Here's a few pointers though:

1) I took some polka dot cotton (sale at JoAnn's), washed & ironed it.

2) I cut an appropriate length (plus allowances for hems) and used the width of the yardage.

3) I sewed the side shut (RST) producing a large loop, then ironed the seam.

4) I ironed the bottom hem over with RST and then sewed on the outside of the hem.

5) For the waist hem, I ironed over, same as step #4 but I sewed a basting stitch in place so I could gather, pinned and then sewed in place for keeps:)

TIP: Since I was sewing my "Minnie" skirt onto a knit waistband I used a stretch needle.

6) I had snipped the satin bow off the original skirt and then hand sewed to the bottom of the "Minnie" layer.


Done!  Now to get her "special" shirt ready...

Thanks for stopping by,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment