Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Homemade Chewy, Choc Chip Granola Bars

Confession: I've been on Pinterest browsing for more DIY projects...but this time, for the kitchen!
 I have previously tried a few homemade granola bars but haven't found one that my Little Ms loved...


...until now!
Behold these: Chewy, Choc Chip Granola Bars!
And not only are these homemade & super easy but they're no bake too!


I started with OF oats...


...pulsed them in the food processor (ten 1 second pulses)...


 ...added the oats to puffed millet cereal...


...and Rice Crispies... 


...then I cooked some honey, brown sugar, vegetable & salt for a couple of minutes...


...poured the hot mixture over the cereal and poured into the prepared pan...

TIP: Don't press the cereal down!!!


...and my little helper was ready to sprinkle mini choc chips...


 ...all over the top & press them into place!
Livy was so pleased with her efforts:)

Photo: 1st time "Ms. Picky" has enjoyed a homemade granola bar- as you can see, it was devoured!

And here is my little chef devouring her "swee swee"!!!

Homemade Chewy, Choc Chip Granola Bars
adapted from Kitchen Travels recipe
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup old fashioned oats (I briefly pulsed mine in food processor)
3/4 cup puffed rice cereal
3/4 cup puffed whole grain cereal (I used millet)
1/3 cup local honey
1/3 cup light brown sugar (I used dark)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt (I used sea salt)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Grease an 8x8 pan and line with parchment, leaving 1 inch overhang on each side.
2. Combine oats & cereal in large bowl.
3. Combine honey, sugar, oil & salt in saucepan and melt over medium high heat.  Bring to gentle boil & boil 1 minute.
4. Pour hot honey mixture over cereal & mix.  
5. Pour hot granola into prepared pan- DON'T PRESS DOWN YET!
6. When granola is cool enough to touch, sprinkle choc chips over the top & press into place, gently.
7. Cool to room temperature & cut into bars.  Store in airtight container for 1 week or freeze.

Enjoy!
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment