Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Homemade Yogurt

Each week, I've been tackling multiple pins from my growing Pinterest boards- some are ok, some need "tweaking" and some are fabulous, like this homemade yogurt.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2Q6rAmi9xHc/To8eG4fXjuI/AAAAAAAADOk/nWYa5En6H3Q/s1600/IMG_8748edit.jpg

I looked at multiple methods and recipes and settled on this crockpot version
instructions  were easy to follow and spot on:)


I started at 4pm (start time is important!) with a 1/2 gallon of organic whole milk...


...poured the milk into my crockpot, set to low for 2 1/2 hours and then unplugged and allowed to rest for an additional 3 hours...


...then took a cup of milk from the crockpot, added 1 cup of plain, whole milk yogurt, gently combined and returned the mixture to the crockpot...


...then covered the crockpot with 2 large towels and left in the garage overnight (8-12 hrs) to incubate.


At approx 9:30 the next morning I unwrapped my homemade yogurt...


...and opted to strain the yogurt through cheesecloth to achieve a thicker consistency...


 ...and then poured yogurt into a small tub & added a mango puree 
(used frozen mango & a swirl of maple syrup)...


...to achieve a DIY YoBaby meal:)

Rosebud could tell this wasn't as sweet as the YoBaby so I've been tweaking- 
she liked my homemade version even better with some mashed banana added to the mix:)

The finished yogurt will keep for 7-10 days & don't forget to keep 1 cup as a starter for your next batch!

TOTAL COST: $3!





Next up, DIY Cloud Dough!

Thanks for stopping by,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment