Pages

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Gluten Free, Homemade Hamburger Helper

I recently came across a fellow natural Mom sharing a recipe for a homemade, real food version of hamburger helper & was intrigued- I've never actually had hamburger helper but knew people resorted to such for ease & low cost...
HHingredients

...however, the ingredient list for such convenience is frightening!


Enter a homemade, real food version:
Ground beef
Salt and pepper
Onion
Garlic
Tomato sauce
Mustard
Pasta
Cheddar cheese

  This ingredient list was simple & I could tell would make a "pound stretcher", one pot meal evoking fall comfort so I gave it a try today:)


Ready in under 30 minutes, this makes an excellent weeknight, family friendly meal, sure to please & I made mine GF!

Homemade Cheeseburger Helper

1 lb. ground beef
½ tsp. salt (I used more salt)
1 tsp. black pepper
1 clove minced garlic (or ¼ tsp. garlic powder)
½ onion, chopped fine (or 2-3 tsp. onion flakes)
1 ¼ c. tomato sauce
1+ tablespoon yellow mustard
1 ¾ cups water (I added a tad more water)
2 ½ cups short pasta, any shape (I used GF penne)
 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Instructions:
  • Brown the beef in a large skillet with the salt, pepper, garlic, and onion. 
  • Drain the fat and add the tomato sauce and mustard, stirring gently. 
  • Add the pasta and water, and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes until the pasta is cooked, stirring occasionally. 
  • Turn off the heat, stir in the cheese, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve!
 

I coupled this entree with sauteed summer squash & it was perfect:)

Better Than A Box

This recipe is included in the Better Than A Box cookbook that I'm  hoping to acquire:)

Hope you enjoy,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment