Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Pumpkin Lasagna?

Yes, you read correctly:)  I've been searching for creative ways to get any veg (besides mashed potatoes!) into the kid's mouths these days & this was a huge success, so definitely worth a post!

 Sprouts has had Framer's Market Organic Pumpkin on sale for the past few weeks so naturally I stocked up for pumpkin bread, never dreaming it would pair with lasagna!  And bonus, they're BPA free & I really can tell a difference with the organic vs regular pumpkin!!!

So lasagna has been one of the few cooked entrees to pass muster with my little Ms for awhile but sadly they were refusing the eggplant, zucchini and any meat nestled within...today I randomly tried adding a generous cup of pureed pumpkin into the tomato sauce.  I tried it first and thought it was delicious but obviously the real test would be with my Tornado...


...she just finished a big bowl of 'seconds':)  I couldn't be happier!  A cooked, healthy meal in my girl's tummy= very happy Mama!  She wouldn't even stop to smile for the camera- too busy eating her "posseez" aka pasta!

If you want to try this out, simply add the pumpkin to your basic cheese lasagna recipe...don't have a basic cheese lasagna recipe?  Try mine- should entice even the most picky eaters:)

Basic Cheese Lasagna

Ingredients:
No Boil lasagna noodles
1 28 oz can tomato puree (I used Muir Glen chunky sauce)
Olive oil
Diced onion (amt per preference)
Minced garlic (amt per preference)
salt & pepper
Minced fresh parsley
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour (GF works fine!)
2 cups milk
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

1. Pour desired amt Olive oil in heavy bottomed saucepan (I used approx 2 tsp) & heat over medium heat till shimmering.  Add onion and cook until softened; add garlic and cook 30 secs until fragrant.  Add tomatoes & salt and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer 20-30 mins.  Off heat, add parsley, pumpkin and adjust seasonings.  TIP: I also add a tad of Stevia to sweeten:)
2. While tomato sauce is simmering, place butter in another saucepan and melt over medium heat.  Once melted, add flour and whisk continually for approx 30 secs to eliminate the 'raw' flour taste.  Add milk and whisk to combine.  Increase heat to high and bring to boil, stirring to prevent sticking/burning.  Simmer until thickened, approx 3-5 mins and remove from heat.
3.  Grease 9x9 baking dish (I used a Pyrex) and cover the bottom with tomato sauce.  Place 2 lasagna noodles in dish and then add more tomato sauce to cover- be sure to cover pasta completely!  Layer white sauce, red sauce, pasta & cheese as desired- I never do this the same way so it doesn't really matter:)
4.  Cover with foil & bake at 350 for an hour- you can brown the top by removing the foil for the last few minutes in the oven but my little Ms don't like it so I don't!

Enjoy & thanks for stopping by,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment