Pages

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

DIY Liquid Soap Nut Laundry Detergent

I purchased some Ecos liquid detergent a year ago and I'm just now finishing it!  With our HE machine, I only need 1 tbsp liquid detergent per load and even less for diapers!  However I've been dying to switch to Soap Nuts and just biding my time...


I came across this fabulous post concerning soap nuts which gave me the ammo to try making a liquid version- as I do all my wash in cold water, the liquid is less fussy.


Why soap nuts?
These little gems are:
  • organic & non toxic
  • fragrance free & hypoallergenic
  • sustainable & biodegradable
  • HE & standard machine compatible
  • renewable alternative to expensive "green" soaps
"Eco Nuts contain saponin, a natural cleaner that works as a surfactant.  When agitated in the washer, the saponin breaks the surface tension of the water to penetrate the fibers of your clothing, lifting stains from the fabric and leaving dirt suspended in the water that is rinsed away.


Eco Nuts are gentle on both clothes and skin, making them ideal for those with sensitive skin, eczema, allergies and psoriasis.  Because they are so mild and leave little residue, they are perfect for baby clothes and cloth diapers.  The quick biodegradability of Eco Nuts also make then great for septic and grey water systems.  But don't expect these shells to foam up like commercial soaps, which have artificial foaming agents.  Foam simply does not represent cleaning power.  Eco Nuts work in all washing machine with any temperature water.  Eco Nuts have been sterilized for consumer protection."
EcoNutsSoap.com

Ready to make your own liquid soap nut laundry detergent?

Here's what you need:

2 cups water
5-6 soap nuts


1st Batch
Place 2 cups water in saucepan and bring to a boil.  Drop in 5-6 soap nuts and simmer for 10 minutes.  Allow to cool and then strain through cheesecloth or muslin.  Top off the soap nut mixture with water to equal 2 cups and store in desired containers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.


Optional 2nd Batch
If endeavoring to be very frugal, a second batch can be made with the same soap nuts.  Repeat the process above, this time simmering for 20 minutes.  Soap nut liquid can be transferred to an ice cube tray and frozen- simply add a couple ice cubes to your load of wash!





I can't wait to use my freshly made soap nut liquid & I just discovered that soap nuts can be used to make an all purpose cleaner, appropriate for cars, tires, dishes, people, pets etc...!



And as a bonus, I didn't need to add any soap to my pot for washing up- check out those suds!

Thanks for stopping by,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment