Pages

Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar Party- DIY Decor

In honor of our Jonah Rhys turning 2, I chose The Very Hungry Caterpillar as his party theme.  This was my 4th planned party for our little Ms and I continue to learn & re-prioritize each time:)


For Livy's 3rd farm birthday, I put a lot of focus on the activities & food and not much on decor- for my 'hungry caterpillar' I opted to put a lot of effort on decor & not as much on food/activities...


...partly because this is a 2nd birthday, I'm almost 7 months pregnant, still struggling with morning sickness, and partly because I could begin working on decor way in advance, pacing my diminished energy levels more efficiently!


Working on various decor projects over the past 2 months also enabled Livy to help, increasing her enjoyment in celebrating Jonah's birthday & giving her fun new projects to try out!


I started with a simple pennant...


utilizing the Sizzix Big Shot...


...Stampin' Up! card stock & the Crop-a-Dile:)


Then I had Livy help me construct party hats- this was our 1st time adding them to a party...


...and with the leftover polka dot card stock, made another pennant using the Big Shot:)


I also added photo garland for the 1st time...


 
...having Costco print the pictures and then mounting them on green card stock and
affixing them each with poster putty, swagged on red yarn (leftover from the DIY stick horses).


 I had so many pictures, I added more photo garland giving guests plenty to look at!


Then Livy & I broke into the fun foam, making this piece (backed with a cereal box for support) for the front door to accompany balloons when guests would arrive.


Livy created these butterflies and dabbed some glitter glue for added sparkle...


...that graced the back door on party day:)


We also added a line of foam butterflies below the large photo garland that would serve as an activity on party day:)


 Pinwheels backed the front door and hung scratch free with poster putty:)


 And now for one of my favorite decor elements: polka dot garland!

 

Starting with some Stampin' Up! card stock and a circle punch...

 

...these were sewn together in a snap with Livy helping to feed them through the sewing machine...


...resulting in yards and yards...


...and yards of polka dot garland!  Love it!


And with "Ricky's" help, I also created this streamer wall (thanks to Pinterest) which added adequate focus to the food table on party day:)  It took a bit of time to twist carefully and a ladder to attach the tops but with poster putty (my new BFF!) it came out so well:)  Loved it!


And with the mantle laden with DIY favors...


 ...we just had to await guests to arrive the next morning for party day to commence!


Thanks for looking & stay tuned for the final details on Jonah's Very Hungry Caterpillar birthday!

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment