Pages

Thursday, September 6, 2012

"Liver....LOVER!"


Yesterday, I came across an article of sorts with tips for maintaining a healthy liver- seemed prudent to peruse...

I wasn't surprised by some of the food items listed (ie: broccoli, leafy greens, citrus fruits, oats...) but was delighted to see these three words: turmeric, cinnamon & curry powder.  I adore all 3 of these spices and have decided to pull these out of my spice cupboard more often:)  Who knew that sprinkling cinnamon on your morning porridge would boost a healthy liver?


Speaking of livers, I recalled Lucy penning her first play, "A Tree Grows in Havana" where her hurried typing results in Ethel mistaking "liver" for "lover" as she proof reads her script!  It's a hilarious scene of wholesome humor and always makes me smile whenever I think of my "liver"!

With fall slowly peeking through the sweltering temperatures here in south Texas, I'm excited about adding these 3 spices into regular dinners at the Ricardos...how do you integrate these spices in your culinary repertoire?

I just made Stovetop Rice Pudding and added cinnamon (score!) and have a curry chicken pot pie on my list of things to make.  I've also recently had a hankering for some Indian food so some roasted cauliflower with turmeric & curry is sounding lovely (double points!).

Establishing healthier eating habits can be a challenge so why not make it as fun as possible?  Add a little turmeric, cinnamon & curry into your foods to 'spice' things up and be a "lover" to your "liver":)

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment