Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Silky Peppermint Toothpaste

Today I'm sharing another update on our homemade toothpaste.  Here at "623 East 68th St." we've been faithfully using this crunchy toothpaste recipe for almost 7 months and have no complaints, however, I opted to include some in my Christmas hampers and thus wanted to spruce it up a bit (and of course I didn't snap a pic of these in my mad dash to finish before Santa arrived!!!).


I had just read about whipping coconut oil, so I promptly emptied my jar into the food processor and whipped away- it was lovely, silky & soft despite the fact that the house was cool enough to keep the coconut oil in a solid, block form.  I proceeded to make up the toothpaste as usual but also adding several drops of peppermint oil- I was very conservative since this was my first attempt, however next time I will add a bit more as 'Ricky' really likes it!

So why are we sold on this homemade concoction?

  • Coconut oil is anti-fungal, antibacterial and helps towards fighting tooth decay.
  • Xylitol works against plaque buildup and aids with re-mineralization.
  • Peppermint essential oil is antiseptic & antibacterial

I also just had my teeth cleaned (it had been well over 1 1/2 yrs...cringe...) and was told my teeth looked great!  Since my dental hygiene routine has suffered drastically since Jonah's birth, the toothpaste must really be helping!

Happy brushing:)
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment