Pages

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

DIY Bike Shorts

This summer, I purposed to have Livy wear more dresses, thus modesty/bike shorts were needed...


 I had trouble finding any at the "right" price but did find some leggings on clearance...so I hatched a plan to make them into shorts.  

After trying the leggings on Livy (sorry no pic but they're leggings so you can use your imagination, right?!), I simply pinched the fabric where I intended to cut, kept my fingers in place while they were removed from those cute legs and lobbed off the bottoms with my handy dandy rotary cutter!


Technically they could have been left un-hemmed since knit doesn't ravel but I wanted a finished hem, so the ends were tucked under and secured with 2 rows of zigzag stitches- the zigzag allows the seam to stretch a bit with the knit vs a tight straight stitch.

TIP: Don't forget to use your stretch needle!

And 10 minutes later, Livy had some new "shorts"!  I've now done this with 3 pairs of knit leggings and am thrilled with the easy, frugal results:)

Have fun altering,
Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment