A few months ago I spotted these cute orange patent flip flips (clearance at Land's End) for Livy- I put them away for next spring with plans to add some customization...at some point:)
Well, I finally decided to take the plunge today- I didn't start with any determined design which is unusual for me. I just tweaked my supplies until they seemed to work; I also chose to stay monochromatic to enhance versatility:)
I started by running a basting stitch through two 16 inch pieces of orange grosgrain ribbon (I used Pumpkin Pie from Stampin' Up!) and pulled to ruffle- my thread was white and I wish I'd taken the trouble to change it out for orange (grrrr), but it's not overly noticeable on the final product....
I then wound one end (approx 1 inch) through the top portion of the sandal (where the ankle strap is located) and adhered to the front with my handy dandy glue gun. Then I proceeded to attach the ruffle in a random twirly notion, down one side and up the other to reach my end piece aka anchor.
After gluing more & adjusting ruffles, I added a button- actually it's a coordinating fabric covered brad from Stampin' Up!. I simply snipped off the legs of the brad and glued to cover my ribbon ends. Done!
This project was quick and relatively pain free (minus the glue gun scorches!) and easily accomplished during nap time, a definite plus:)
If I haven't mentioned this before, Olivia loves shoes- she came out from her nap and broke into a huge grin when she saw her new 'flipped flops'!
And of course wanted to show them off! They're still a smidgeon big, but Livy is enthralled and carefully stashed them away with her many other shoes:)
I think I paid $6 for the shoes and they're excellent quality with a superb sole (love Land's End kids shoes!)- Livy also shared that they're"naw tie" aka "not tight", a plus. The embellishment supplies were residing in my stash so this project was way economical and way fun!
Stay tuned for my grown up 'flipped flops'- will post next week!