Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

"It's Mrs. Trumball"


I count myself very privileged to have had a fabulous "Mamaw" in my life for so many years- she went to be with the Lord 3 1/2 yrs ago and I still miss her tremendously, however, she left an incredible legacy behind.

 'I Love Lucy' is unsurpassed in my books but it holds lots of sentimental significance too as 'Mrs Trumball' looks so much like my Mamaw- she even shares many of the same mannerisms:)  I feel as though Mamaw is in our home when I watch Mrs Trumball pop in & out of the Ricardo's, hence why these episodes are viewed often:)

One of countless things I associate with my Mamaw is her 'Meat & Rice', a simple, budget & kid friendly dish that my Mom made for us all through our growing up years- it was a standard favorite.  I haven't had any 'Meat & Rice' in years and while I've been gathering 'kid friendly' recipes (aka "Olivia friendly"), I suddenly remembered this...


As you can see, it was a hit & I was immediately transported back to childhood!  


  

And though the original recipe doesn't include green beans, I opted to sneak them in, hoping that Livy wouldn't mind as she's been on strike from green veggies of late...worked like a charm, making me one happy Mama:)

Be sure to try this out for your family- it's very forgiving so you can switch things up as needed:)

Mamaw's Meat & Rice:

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
3 cups tomato sauce
1/2 cup butter
4 tbsp grated onion
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried thyme

Saute onion in butter and then brown beef while rice cooks.  Combine all ingredients and place in a greased casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes.


*NOTE: Since I was making this for Livy & Jonah I omitted the butter & onion and simply browned my beef and added extra thyme.  I used the Pomi tomatoes which come in a cardboard carton (no BPA!) and measure 3 cups exactly, so very convenient:)  Adjust seasonings to your liking & enjoy!

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment