Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

On Strike

I can't help but smile as I write this- approx a week ago, I felt that hubby wasn't duly appreciative of my efforts to provide a hot meal for him to take to work each day and so I graciously excused myself from continuing...for a time. I've been ensuring hubby had "decent" food to take to work each day since we got married almost 5 yrs ago- with 2 little ones that rarely stop moving, this has become increasingly challenging, so I felt a break was in order:)

I recall my Mom going 'on strike' more than once when I was young due to family members complaining and being less than grateful. We ate a lot of PB&J everyday & it got old fast (though I adore it now!) and quickly began begging my Mom to cook for us again with promises of being VERY grateful and liking everything that was prepared- I had hopes that the same turn of events would occur in our home too:)

Well, after hubby fixed his own lunches for approx 2 weeks (and he's very adept, unlike many males) , I decided to treat him- his level of appreciation had risen markedly & we were able to joke about the whole scenario (good thing!). ***Sorry these pics are dreadful- was doing this after kids were asleep!


One of hubby's favorite things to eat is salmon & HEB had it on sale, so perfect timing:) I simply lined my toaster oven baking sheet with foil (spritzed with veg spray), patted my fish dry and placed it on the foil. Next I brushed the salmon with olive oil, salt & pepper and placed lemon slices and fresh Thyme sprigs on top- very difficult. Sealed the foil, forming a tent and baked in the toaster oven at 375 degrees for 20-25 mins (depending on size of fish) until it flaked.***Love using the toaster oven vs conventional oven during the summer as it doesn't heat up the kitchen!


To accompany the salmon, I whipped up a herbed rice pilaf. Since I was using Basmati rice, I began with 1 3/4 cups water, set to boil- once boiling, I added 1 cup rice along with salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 10-15 mins, until liquid is absorbed.

While the rice cooked, I prepared some aromatics: green onion, fresh basil, parsley and lemon zest. Once the rice was done, I gently folded the aromatics in, added some fresh ground pepper and took a taste- divine:)


Since this was going with hubby to work, I packed everything in a tupperware plate- the peas (my 'handy dandy go to' vegetable) were dressed up with chopped, fresh Thyme, salt, pepper & olive oil.

So in approx 20 mins, I had a lovely, healthy and GF meal ready for hubby- it was greatly enjoyed & appreciated:) ***This meal is great cold, room temp or hot!

I believe we all become accustomed to certain things and lose sight of how important they are, namely people. While I'm ribbing hubby in this post (he's such a good sport!), be assured there are plenty of opportunities that I've taken him & others for granted and had to readjust.

Make it a priority today to express your appreciation to someone special in your life:) ***Sprouts has their salmon on sale this week for $4.99/lb!!!

Thanks,

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment