Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

DIY

I took a week off from blogging to attend to some projects, including my first proper DIY attempt: a pallet wine rack. I found my inspiration at Pinterest (where else!) and began hatching my plan:) ***Notice that my rack has 2 slats and is much more rustic than the one seen on Pinterest- it's original:) Based on this being a beginner's project, my not owning my own power tools (yet!) and wanting extra reinforcement with my 2 tornadoes underfoot, I opted for this more rustic design.

I procured the pallet with very little fuss (thank you kind neighbor) and then with the 'handy dandy' power tools of my DIY mentor and great friend, Sylvia, went to work- actually, Syl made the cuts with her circular saw since I'm a newby and didn't want to lose a finger:)

Then one morning last week, at approx 7am, Jonah sat in his swing while I pulled out staples, hammered nails and sanded, wondering how early is 'too early' for DIY...no complaints from the neighbors:)

My Dad graciously relinquished some left over stash of sand paper, wood stain and 'poly' which kept my budget for this project at $0! Jonah turned out to be my dedicated DIY helper as he sat in his swing again, watching me stain away with a 'handy dandy' cloth vs a paint brush as the cloth was free (see note at end of post)!


So, now the wine rack has been formed, sanded and stained and is now just awaiting another coat of 'poly' before resting in its new home.


***NOTE: Wear gloves! If you don't, you'll end up with black hands- the pic below was taken after I had washed my hands a dozen times! Within a few more days the stain had mostly disappeared but I'll definitely wear gloves next time!


Stay tuned for part 2 of my DIY Pallet Wine Rack:)

Tiffany

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great project. I can't wait to see the final version!

    ReplyDelete