Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

Eat Your Veggies!

I was thrilled to see all that was offered at the farmer's market this week: I loaded up with the above as well as some fresh peaches....ummmmm.

After indulging in too many carbs lately, I was craving some serious veg; I treated myself to braised green beans with bacon, "Cauli Cheese" and squash saute for lunch...scrumptious.

Vegetables don't have to be boring and I regularly make an entire meal of all veg:


The crispy bacon and sweet red onion make these green beans divine. Shallots and a drop of left over bacon grease turned the squash into toasty yumminiess and the cauli is well, perfect, frosted and topped with some freshly shredded cheddar:) This was a sumptuous, vegetal feast!

By the time I snacked on the veggies while I was making them and ate my lunch, I probably got 5 servings of veggies in...I was hungry:)

So satisfying & no tummy ache from eating junk:)

Want to try these? Here's the 'no measuring' recipe for the squash:

I diced 6 smallish patty pan squash (didn't even peel this time & they were lovely) and sauteed in approx 2 tsp bacon grease with finely diced shallot until browned. Salt & Pepper and you're done!

For the "Cauli Cheese":

Cut 1 cauliflower into florets and place in a microwave safe dish- I use a Pyrex pie plate and it's perfect. Add small amt of water to bottom of dish and micro, covered, till fork tender, approx 5-8 mins. Drain water and add salt and pepper. While the cauli is cooking I mix together some mayo & dijon, approx 6:1 ratio- I eye ball it each time and never go wrong:) Once the cauli is cooked, frost it with the mayo mixture and top with some shredded cheese of your choice. Yum!

Enjoy your veggies & remember to share your own favorite veggie ensembles below:)

Tiffany

No comments:

Post a Comment