Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Decor on a Dime

Hello Ladies,

I think most of us can relate to wanting our homes to be a place of rest and beauty. However, I find that what I envision usually equates to costing an arm & a leg! The answer to this dilemma is: doing it yourself!


As seen above, Lucy infamously tried hanging wall paper in her bedroom and it turned out to be a catastrophe- this all started as she couldn't afford to hire professional paper hangers. Sound familiar?

Over the past 2 years, I've been steadily adding customized decor pieces to our children's rooms as I couldn't afford to buy what I wanted. I'm also very picky:) As a result I've grown to love making unique and affordable accents and since I'm no longer a slave to perfectionism, I find I'm much more productive and happy!

Olivia's bedroom was painted in 'Sweet Cream' and designed with pastel shades and Beatrix Potter accents. Things were flowing nicely on the decor front here except for one bothersome wall needing something large but also flat, as in no shelves, shadow boxes, chunky frames etc...grrrrr.

When browsing a Pottery Barn spring issue some time back, I came across a Beatrix Potter pennant and thought, "I really want that...but I bet I can make one myself". So I did, and for a whole lot less money!


With the help of a Big Shot die cutting machine, a pennant die, coordinating card stock and ribbon from Stampin' Up!, I was able to create the base of the pennant. I purchased an inexpensive Beatrix Potter book chock full of colored illustrations and began cutting them up (yes, it seemed very wrong but I persevered!) and simply adhered them to the pennant base- easy peasy!


I then decided to add a few 3D elements (with my 'handy dandy glue gun') for visual interest since Livy stares at this wall as she falls asleep:)

















Ta da! This homemade Beatrix Potter pennant has been the perfect solution to my design muddle for the 'bothersome' wall and Livy loves it:)






Even better, it cost approx $5 to complete- I would've been in the hole $60+ if I had bought this piece! Makes me grin all over again seeing those savings:)


Do you have a decor dilemma? Try thinking out of the box- consider browsing something professionally manufactured and then strategize how to DIY! And please share your own "Handy Dandy" tips on home decor below:)

Thanks for perusing,

Tiffany

2 comments: